+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The hands free way to bypass your parking brake wire.

The hands free way to bypass your parking brake wire.

This is the fool proof way to bypass that pesky dvd protection so that it plays when you turn on your in dash dvd player. I accept no responsibility or liability for anyone that decides to use a video source of any kind while in operation of a motor vehicle. this tutorial is for informational purposes only and is not legal in most states on a licensed motor vehicle. Do this modification at your own risk.

With that being said.... Here goes.

What you need to do this is.

a standard "bosch" type relay. (4 or 5 pin)
    a few female spade terminals
    some 16ga wire.

Ok so, take one section of wire and attach it to the ground and make it split into two seperate wires with 2 of the spade terminals going to the pins #85 and #30 on the relay. Take another section and attach one end to the parking brake wire and crimp on another spade terminal to hook up to the #87 pin on the relay. Make another wire attach to the remote output (usually blue or blue/white tracer) wire of your head unit and crimp another spade on it to attach to the #86 wire of the relay. Note: on the 5 pin relay, the 87a pin is not used and can be left alone.

So if you have done this corrrectly, the h/u should play dvd video when you turn it on. no toggle switch or special interface needed.

Here is a diagram to aid you along.

This will NOT work with some DVD players such as Alpine etc where they require a pos and neg wire to be hooked up to parking brake and brake pedal.
    Last edited by weshole; 03-12-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Oh btw... dont marvel at my mad tyte Paint skillz for the pic. It was quick and to the point.

Oh and Jim, Brian or Chuck... Sticky this bitch!!!
    Last edited by weshole; 03-12-2010 at 07:12 PM.

im confused...why not just ground the wire?

Obviously like you said, grounding the wire doesnt work for ALL indash dvd players...but most.

I just grounded mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RidinRails View Post
    im confused...why not just ground the wire?

Obviously like you said, grounding the wire doesnt work for ALL indash dvd players...but most.
    During smog tests, if the inspector notices a dvd player, some states check to make sure the park brake off shuts off the player. Having this activated with a hidden remote on off switch to simulate being "legal". The state of Washington did anyways.
    Legacy GT
    Gmc Suburban

I'll keep my money, guns and freedom. You keep the change.

Danny: What about Fargostreet?
    Hallorann: Fargostreet?
    Danny: You're scared of Fargostreet, ain't ya?
    Hallorann: No, I ain't.
    Danny: Mr. Hallorann. What's in Fargostreet?
    Hallorann: Nothin'! There ain't nothin' in Fargostreet. But you ain't got no business goin' in there anyway. So stay out! You understand? Stay out!

ɥƃnouǝ ǝɯ ʇɥƃnɐʇ ǝʌɐɥ ʎǝɥʇ ʞuıɥʇ ʇuop ı ƃuıɥʇ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ sıɥʇ ʇǝƃ ʇuop ı

I believe the momentary "switch" between not grounded & grounded when the relay is triggered is what makes this work w/ the Pioneer unit. Otherwise, a straight ground would work just fine.
    Auto Starts from $200 Installed! Lifetime warranty.

This is a "hands free" or "toggle free" way to operate the dvd player. Like Clarion, Pioneer, JVC?, etc. the ground cannot be on when you start up the player or car or it will not allow video. The ground has to be introduced after the unit see power switched on or interrupted for a lack of a better term. This way, no toggle has to be used. The momentary lapse in time from when the h/u is turned on till the remote wire activates the relay is sufficient to please the sensing portion of the h/u. So, it's completely out of site and out of mind.

If you get pulled over and asked to show verify the parking brake feature is hooked up, you will be s.o.l.

actually, JVC can be grounded constant Wes.
    Auto Starts from $200 Installed! Lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafik Jamz View Post
    sick burn
    Getcher green hat, we are goin fishin.

Quote Originally Posted by 63vette View Post
    I dont know shit about building cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafik Jamz View Post
    hence the question mark after I posted that brand. WAS NOT SURE.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information