+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Random NA-T questions

  1. #1

    Random NA-T questions

    Well I'm getting sick of my piggybacks and probably looking to go standalone this spring. Figured id ask the na-t gods a few questions lol

    What I've heard is that i need an ignition amplifier to go along with AEM, but some people say i don't with the v2. Is that true? Also, I don't plan on putting anymore power down, why would I need an ign-amp with aem if I don't need one with the power I am making now? ...Using the stock dist btw

    Are you guys set up with aem electronics?

    Thanks!
    Lexus SC300 - Boostlogic PT67 kit
    Honda Civic Si - Daily

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WeFar
    Posts
    9,490
    AEM V1 only does waste spark I believe. I know the TT needs the HKS DLi kit which is roughly ~$350 used. It also drives low impedance peak & hold injectors. From what I understand, it also is much better for drive-ability. I'm far from an expert in this subject, but it seems like there were mixed reviews on V1, but people used it because it was cheap and not much else really existed besides Motec. NA-T might be completely different for all of this tho, Dave and Matt will be better sources. I'll tell you this much, I'm getting V2 for sure. I just wish I could afford ProEFI and the trip to SP for tuning.
    At first I did it for fun, then I realized I made the investment and had to do it!

    92 Talon AWD 6/4bolt 12.2@115...Sold
    95 240SX SE SR20DET 13.4@106...Sold
    1993.5 Supra Hardtop...Sold
    Next project? 6cyl, 6spd?

    Quote Originally Posted by spanish-rice View Post
    at first i thought the title said beer truck drivers needed... In which case i accidently put my two weeks in at work.

  3. #3
    Im thinking v2 as well, in case I want to go COP in the future

    Yeah sp did the tune its on now, put down 512 at 23psi. Which, from what I've seen, is really good power on safc/vpc. I'm just sick of trying to trick the ecu and having it fight those changes. I miss the consistancy of a standalone.
    Lexus SC300 - Boostlogic PT67 kit
    Honda Civic Si - Daily

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WeFar
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEJ8 View Post
    Im thinking v2 as well, in case I want to go COP in the future

    Yeah sp did the tune its on now, put down 512 at 23psi. Which, from what I've seen, is really good power on safc/vpc. I'm just sick of trying to trick the ecu and having it fight those changes. I miss the consistancy of a standalone.
    Yep, and going to a MAP ECU doesn't seem to be the answer either as the ECU still messes with the tune like you said. I was planning on doing MAP-ECU 2, but it just doesn't seem worth it in the long run. I found a V2 for $1700 shipped with IAT/MAP sensor, so I couldn't really pass it up. Especially considering a V1 was around $1000+ sensors + $350 HKS DLi + $100 resistor box since I have JDM stuff. A couple extra hundred dollars for driveability and reliability is a small price to pay IMO. I've also heard some people have had hardware issues with the V1 box burning up, etc.

    Have you looked at the ProEFI stuff yet? It has a flex fuel sensor that adjusts your tune based on alcohol content of your fuel. Too bad its around $4k for a fully loaded setup.
    At first I did it for fun, then I realized I made the investment and had to do it!

    92 Talon AWD 6/4bolt 12.2@115...Sold
    95 240SX SE SR20DET 13.4@106...Sold
    1993.5 Supra Hardtop...Sold
    Next project? 6cyl, 6spd?

    Quote Originally Posted by spanish-rice View Post
    at first i thought the title said beer truck drivers needed... In which case i accidently put my two weeks in at work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Right below the big "O" on the top 1/4 mile list
    Posts
    3,151
    If you are keeping the distributor you don't need an ignition amplifier with V1 or V2, the waste spark thing is only if you are coil/plug.
    DaveH
    '94 Supra- 7.77 @ 176mph


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Right below the big "O" on the top 1/4 mile list
    Posts
    3,151
    Oh, Matt and I are both using a V1 aem. I've thought about selling it and switching to a V2 but it's hard to justify spending the $$. The only real advantage to the V2 IMO is that you don't run waste spark when you are cop. The only problems I've had with the V1 were my own fault... I tried driving 12 injectors without using a injector driver box, and ended up burning up a circuit board. And then last year I burned up another board when I was welding on the car. I always have to learn the hard way, with the board being $500 a crack. :-/
    DaveH
    '94 Supra- 7.77 @ 176mph


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WeFar
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Oh, Matt and I are both using a V1 aem. I've thought about selling it and switching to a V2 but it's hard to justify spending the $$. The only real advantage to the V2 IMO is that you don't run waste spark when you are cop. The only problems I've had with the V1 were my own fault... I tried driving 12 injectors without using a injector driver box, and ended up burning up a circuit board. And then last year I burned up another board when I was welding on the car. I always have to learn the hard way, with the board being $500 a crack. :-/

    Isn't the driveability supposed to be better for a street car with V2?
    At first I did it for fun, then I realized I made the investment and had to do it!

    92 Talon AWD 6/4bolt 12.2@115...Sold
    95 240SX SE SR20DET 13.4@106...Sold
    1993.5 Supra Hardtop...Sold
    Next project? 6cyl, 6spd?

    Quote Originally Posted by spanish-rice View Post
    at first i thought the title said beer truck drivers needed... In which case i accidently put my two weeks in at work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Right below the big "O" on the top 1/4 mile list
    Posts
    3,151
    Quote Originally Posted by PSiedTSi View Post
    Isn't the driveability supposed to be better for a street car with V2?
    I've looked over the V2 software and it's quite a bit different than the V1, so I guess it's possible that there are more adjustments that would allow you to tune streetability better. Basically, I think it's more the person doing the tuning than anything else.
    DaveH
    '94 Supra- 7.77 @ 176mph


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    WeFar
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I've looked over the V2 software and it's quite a bit different than the V1, so I guess it's possible that there are more adjustments that would allow you to tune streetability better. Basically, I think it's more the person doing the tuning than anything else.
    Yeah, there is a lot of truth to that statement.
    At first I did it for fun, then I realized I made the investment and had to do it!

    92 Talon AWD 6/4bolt 12.2@115...Sold
    95 240SX SE SR20DET 13.4@106...Sold
    1993.5 Supra Hardtop...Sold
    Next project? 6cyl, 6spd?

    Quote Originally Posted by spanish-rice View Post
    at first i thought the title said beer truck drivers needed... In which case i accidently put my two weeks in at work.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I've looked over the V2 software and it's quite a bit different than the V1, so I guess it's possible that there are more adjustments that would allow you to tune streetability better. Basically, I think it's more the person doing the tuning than anything else.
    Have you messed around with the automapping feature at all, for partial throttle? Seems like a pretty cool idea, if it works well?
    Lexus SC300 - Boostlogic PT67 kit
    Honda Civic Si - Daily

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts