+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sub/amp problems

More often than not, it is the subwoofer that is blown. Hence the advice given to verify wether or not it was one or the other. While i have seen the same thing happen to other amps that you described, its not a common occurance and would be a diagnosis further down the road from the initial diagnosing. Good option nonetheless. Great to see others input.

new problem with the amp/sub. so i got a new sub but when i hooked it up nothing happened. only light on, on the amp is the power light. its a 4ohm svc sub and im wondering if i just wired it up wrong or if there is something i could be missing.
    04 Toyota Celica Gts

Double check all of your connections (RCA inputs on amp/outputs on deck; speaker wires on amp, inputs on sub, etc...) to make sure signal is making its way from the deck to the amp. If any connections loose/unhooked, reconnect them.

While your old sub was out is it possible that the speaker wires shorted together? This can cause the amp to blow it's output channels which would mean the amp is dead/needs repair.

Also, you said that you got a new sub.... does this mean brand new sub purchased from a local retailer or does it mean "new to you" where you bought it on craigslist/ebay/some shady online store. If it wasn't bought brand new in box from a local store I'd say there is a 30% chance that you bought a defective sub that the previous owner knew was dead when he sold it.

What is the make/model of the amp and sub? I ask because it's possible (not necessarily likely) that if it is a low end amp that initially it had a surge/spike that took out the amp AND fried your old subs voicecoil simultaneously.

If you want me to spend 10 minutes looking it over for you I can do that as well for no charge.

Auto Starts from $200 Installed! Lifetime warranty.

im checking all my connections right now. then im going to try and check if there is any power going from the amp to the sub. I have a feeling that there is something wrong with the amp but hopefully its just a connection.

The amp is a Rockford Fosgate p300-1 and the sub is a Kenwood KFC-W12. did not buy the sub in town, got it online bnib. also checked the sub after i hooked it up to the amp and got nothing and it seems to be fine but i would need to hook it up to a working amp to fully know.

Also while i was checking the ground wire, there was some speaker wire grounded with it. any idea what that would have been for?
    04 Toyota Celica Gts

all connections seem to be good. so i tried adjusting some of the settings on the amp and now the protection light is flashing on and off again.
    04 Toyota Celica Gts

I'd really have to see it to know for sure at this point. As for the speaker wire grounded to the ground wire.....I'd have to see before I knew if that was a problem or not as well.
    Auto Starts from $200 Installed! Lifetime warranty.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information